Somali Federal Government issues resolution to reform auto rickshaw operations in the capital; following recommendations by the Special Committee investigating safety concerns surrounding the PSV operators on the city streets as well as its wider national security implications.
In response to the Committee recommendations, the Cabinet made the following resolution, in a view to regulating the public transport system:
- Starting from 1st April 2023, the importation of auto rickshaws (including those used for transporting of goods) and motorcycles, are suspended until further notice. This ban applies all ports of entry across Somalia.
- From 1st to 30th April 2023, the registration of all auto Rickshaw vehicles currently operating in the capital city shall be reviewed and marked in accordance with the traffic identification rules. This task shall be conducted by Banaadir Regional Administration.
- Public Services Vehicles (PSV) driving licenses shall not be issued to persons under the age of 18 years.
- From 1st May 2023, the issuance of Number Plates for auto rickshaw variants and motorcycles shall be suspended.
- Ministry of Transport, the Banaadir Regional Administration and the relevant law enforcement agencies are required to implement the aforementioned guidelines.
For Further information, please contact:
Farhan Jimale / Spokesperson & the Director of Communications & Public Relations of the Federal Government of Somalia
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org