The strength of the OPM lies in the fact that it is established by the constitution. It exists legally and its functions are documented in the Constitution. The OPM has also very clear vision and mission and functioning departments with good working environment and cooperation among staff.
The Prime Minister will be supported in his Office with expertise in planning, policy analysis and delivery, as well as support in strategy and communications. The OPM is responsible for coordination between the Public institutions and commissions involved in strengthening Security, Good governance and Economic growth through the cabinet.
A stable and peaceful Somalia through strong leadership and excellence in services.
Build effective and efficient office of the Prime Minister to promote peace and state-building for Somalia.
The Office of the Prime Minister will be guided by the following core values:
Independence: the ability to function in a given area without interference, pressure or influence from others. The OPM staff will adhere to impartiality, objectivity and judicious, equitable and compliance to principles of rule of law.
- Integrity: the willingness to do what is right even when no one is looking. It is the “moral compass” – the inner voice; the voice of self-control. The staff will not seek or accept gifts, favours or inducements, financial or otherwise, in the course of discharging their duties. Nor will they offer gifts, favours or inducements. They will not use public property or official time for their own private purposes. They will not use information acquired in the course of their official duties to gain personal financial advantage.
- Transparency and Accountability: obligation to demonstrate that OPM work has been conducted in compliance with agreed rules and regulations. In achieving these OPM plans should be open, responsible and answerable to the rule of law.
- Diversity: the OPM will respect the diversity of the people’s backgrounds in fulfilling its mission. It is committed to the equality of opportunity for all.
- Collaboration: recognising that effective, responsive and accountable governance requires the inputs of all stakeholders, the OPM will work very hard in promoting consultations, building consensus, forging partnerships and engaging diverse stakeholders in fulfilling its mandate.
- Confidentiality: the OPM shall not unnecessarily withhold information which the public has a right to know. On the other hand, the staff will not divulge or misuse official information which is confidential.
Code of Conduct for the OPM
To achieve our vision, we will effectively provide sound policy advice and administrative support to the Prime Minister and Cabinet in an efficient manner and through a commitment to the highest levels of professional integrity that is founded and driven by its value.
OPM Management Principles:
In carrying out its role and functions, the OPM will practice the following management principles:
- Results-oriented: It will be appraised on the basis of outputs and outcomes and impacts achieved and not on inputs.
- Mission-driven: Mission and objectives will be the basis of all important decisions instead of mere compliance with its rules, regulations and standing orders.
- Participatory: Promoting the participation of its stakeholders. This will ensure that the strategic plan objectives and targets are achieved to the satisfaction of the stakeholders.
- Strategic: Strategic planning, budgeting, and management techniques will be adopted, implemented and reviewed systematically.
- Value-for Money oriented: The quest for cost-efficiency and effectiveness will prevail throughout the OPM operations.
- Innovative: Continuously search for new quality-enhancing and cost-saving techniques and technologies in their operations such as effective techniques of initiating and coordinating public policies and enhancing public awareness of the dangers of poor Governance and corruption.
- Monitoring, Evaluating, Learning and Re-planning – Seeking to institute systems and mechanisms to provide performance feedback, learning experience for future planning, anticipation of problems and solutions.